Friday, February 4, 2011

What Sort Of Trader/Investor Are You?

An Interesting Article Written By Andy Richardson

I started investing in New Share Issues in the 90's and for a while that's all I did. I can't remember why I stopped but that sort of fizzled out, perhaps wrongly.

I got into techs and learned some hard lessons.

Then I flirted with 'blue-sky' - oh I don't even want to go there and nor should you, unless you've got bags of money and bags of time. TDM, MDX, algorithms for sirens and even deck-chairs. Oh, brings back bad memories...purge purge purge.

Then I started buying value but I didn't have the gold touch, nor did I have patience or conviction so I tended to buy high and sell low. Doh. Not a happy time.

Then I leaned towards growth because it's so tangible you can almost touch it. Is it hard to find a winning sector and winning stocks within a sector...it's not.

Along the way I got caught up with technical analysis, allowing myself to be convinced that there was a black-box solution to the trading challenge (I wanted to say problem but that would have been so 1980's). But I found no such solution and, like Richard Farleigh, I have yet to meet a wealthy chartist. Well that's not true, I've met plenty but they all sell their services via newsletters/seminars and the like. Did you know that The Society of Technical Analysts has ALL their money in cash and doesn't trade it!? Laughable or what. I digress. So I settled for a simple use of charts: to confirm a trend and to give me advance warning where the hoi polloi might enter and exit. Add to that a dollop of moving averages and the RSI (I have no idea, I just try and not buy a share when the RSI is less than 50) and that's as much use as I can find for them. Cycle man determined to convert me so I remain open-minded.

So in the time-line we've gone from 1990's to May 2006 (I started this for real in Aug 2005).

And after much messing around I was left with a chart with a trendline and a liking for growth stocks. Hello momentum. And that light came on about July 2006.
Then I happened to have a long discussion with some nice chaps about market-maker stocks and that got me thinking about how one could sway the odds of trading in one's favour.

…and so I became a momentum trader of small-cap stocks.

Well…that was until small-cap stocks stopped moving.

But that hasn't been a problem because I just took a deep breath and started looking for things that are breaking out. I've posted re CAB.

And as soon as I am sure we are in a bear market I will start to short but I really need to see that downwards trendline confirmed first because I don't want to get caught up in all those short-closing rally thingies.
So I suppose my trading style is sort of evolved and continually evolving.

So I would say that everyone has to find his own path. To figure out what sort of trader/investor you are, you need to throw an awful lot of mud at the wall and that can result in losses. I don't think the process has a shortcut, you just have to do the time and hope that you find, chance-upon, discover a method that works for you and makes you money.

Read more on Andy's spread betting journal at http://www.financial-spread-betting.com/

Article Source : http://misterarticle.com/

Author Resource : Financial-spread-betting.com monitors and reviews spread betting sites like IGIndex and CMC Markets so you know which sites offer the best experience for you to spread bet at.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Required US Government Disclaimer & CTFC Rule 4.41

Futures trading contains substantial risk and is not suitable for every investor. An investor could potentially lose all or more than the initial investment. Risk capital is money that can be lost without jeopardizing ones financial security or lifestyle. Only consider risk capital that should be used for trading and only those with sufficient risk capital should consider trading. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. CTFC RULE 4.41 – HYPOTHETICAL OR SIMULATED PERFORMANCE RESULTS HAVE CERTAIN LIMITATIONS. UNLIKE AN ACTUAL PERFORMANCE RECORD, SIMULATED RESULTS DO NOT REPRESENT ACTUAL TRADING. ALSO, SINCE THE TRADES HAVE NOT BEEN EXECUTED, THE RESULTS MAY HAVE UNDER-OR-OVER COMPENSATED FOR THE IMPACT, IF ANY, OF CERTAIN MARKET FACTORS SUCH AS LIQUIDITY. SIMULATED TRADING PROGRAMS IN GENERAL ARE ALSO SUBJECT TO THE FACT THAT THEY ARE DESIGNED WITH THE BENEFIT OF HINDSIGHT. NO REPRESENTATION IS BEING MADE THAT ANY ACCOUNT WILL OR IS LIKELY TO ACHIEVE PROFIT OR LOSSES SIMILAR TO THOSE SHOWN. All trades, patterns, charts, systems, etc., discussed in this website or advertisement are for illustrative purposes only and not construed as specific advisory recommendations. All ideas and materials presented herein are for information and educational purposes only. No system or trading methodology has ever been developed that can guarantee profits or prevent losses. The testimonials and examples used herein are exceptional results which do not apply to average people and are not intended to represent or guarantee that anyone will achieve the same or similar results. Trades placed on the reliance of Trend Methods systems are taken at your own risk for your own account. This is not an offer to buy or sell futures interests.